How to change my address for my taxes?
Would you rather spend your spare time doing your taxes or making your overdue changes of address? If the answer is none of the above, then this article is definitely for you and will save you from headaches !
Changing your address for your taxes: What does it imply ?
Changing your address for tax purposes actually means making the changes with Revenu Québec, at the provincial level, and the Canada Revenu Agency (CRA) at the federal level. Inform both government entities of your new address and you will sleep soundly!
Need to update your address with more than one organization? Check out our interactive checklist.
Update your Address in Minutes
1. Build your list.
2. Notify +1000 organizations at once.
3. Save time and leave nothing behind!
How to change my address for my taxes in Quebec? | Revenu Quebec
You have 3 options :
- The Service Québécois de Changement d’Adresse (SQCA) – The Quebec’s government online change of address service
- Using My Account online; a personalized, secure and confidential space
- By phone
1. The Service Québécois de Changement d’Adresse (SQCA)
When it will be time to move, the Service Québécois de Changement d’Adresse will actually be your best friend! This option allows you to notify simultaneously 6 governmental departments (and agencies) of your change of address. All at once, you will be able to notify:
- Revenu Québec;
- Chief Electoral Officer;
- Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale (Labor, Employment and Social inclusion);
- Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ – Health Insurance);
- Retraite Québec (Pension Plan);
- Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ – Driver’s license)
To take advantage of this service, you will need:
- Your social insurance number;
- Your first and last name;
- Your date of birth;
- Your current postal code;
- The amount on line 199 of your income tax return for the last taxation year for which you received a notice of assessment
Quick tips: Save your reference number. You will thus be able to view the status of your change of address.
2. Online using My Account; a personalized, secure and confidential space
Every Quebec Citizen has the option to fulfill their tax obligations using the My Account secure online space provided by Revenu Quebec.
I have access to My Account!
Simply make your changes of address using My Account and check that the updates are effective immediately.
I do not have access to My Account.
The first time you use this service, registering your account can be tedious as many documents are required. However, the good thing is that once created you will use your online account every year during tax season.
To create an account, follow the required steps. If patience is not your greatest virtue, call Revenu Québec directly.
3. By phone
You can notify Revenu Québec of your change of address by phone from Monday to Friday between 8:30AM and 4:30 PM.
1 800 267-6299 (toll-free)
Before contacting Revenu Québec, you should have at least 2 of the following documents on hand:
- your most recent notice of assessment;
- your most recent notice of determination;
- your most recent income tax return;
- any other notice that was recently sent to you by Revenu Québec.
How to change my address for my taxes in Canada (federal level)? | Canada Revenu Agency (CRA)
Read also about your address changes :
There are many different resources to help you with your changes of address with the government. To simplify your life, we have grouped the resources .[...]
The Canada Pension Plan is known to be the backbone of Canada’s public retirement income system. When you move in to a new place, you have to notify the CPP. [...]
Usually when we think about the companies we need to notify of our change of address, our financial institutions are at the top of the list. This article explains how to change your address with your bank accounts and credit cards [...]
There are many different resources to help you with your changes of address with the government. To simplify your life, we have grouped the resources .[…]
The Canada Pension Plan is known to be the backbone of Canada’s public retirement income system. When you move in to a new place, you have to notify the CPP. […]
Usually when we think about the companies we need to notify of our change of address, our financial institutions are at the top of the list. This article explains how to change your address with your bank accounts and credit cards […]
One website for all your address change | MovingWaldo.
Do you have any question concerning your address change? MovingWaldo has been the reference in this sector since 2015. In fact, our free online service allows you to communicate your new contact information to a selection of over 600 private companies and governmental institutions in less than 5 minutes! Let’s just say there is a reason why RE/MAX and Sutton Quebec have chosen MovingWaldo has their official change of address partner.
To learn more about our free change of address service, click here.
Silly question; obviously, to get mail delivered at home. Duh! But what if, like the seven million other young adults in Canada, you do not receive mail anymore? [...]