How to change my address with the Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS)?
The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is known to be the backbone of Canada’s public retirement income system. The Old Age Security (OAS) program is the Government of Canada’s largest pension program. Anyone who benefit from any of the federal programs below must inform the CPP and the OAS when moving into a new place.
Learn how to easily inform them of your move in this article.
Who must notify the CPP and the OAS of a change of address?
If you benefit from any of the following program, you must change your address with the CPP and the OAS.
- Retirement pension
- Post-retirement benefit
- Disability benefits
- Survivor’s pension
- Death benefit
- Children’s benefits
- Guaranteed Income Supplement
- Allowance for the Survivor
Need to update your address with more than one organization? Check out our interactive checklist.
Update your Address in Minutes
1. Build your list.
2. Notify +1000 organizations at once.
3. Save time and leave nothing behind!
How to change your address with the CPP and the OAS?
To change your address with the CPP and the OAS, you will have two options, depending on how you registered for the program in the first place :
- If you did not register online : that means that you submitted a paper application. Therefore, you can contact the CPP and OAS directly by phone (1-800-277-9914, Toll-free), or send a letter to the nearest Service Canada office. You can find a list of offices here. If you chose to call the CPP, make sure you have your Social Insurance Number (SIN) in hand.
- If you registered online : you just have to log in to My Service Canada Account (MSCA) on the government’s website. When you’re logged in to your personal profile, you can change your address by clicking on “View/change my address”. Sometimes the change may take a few days to be effective. If you need your address do be updated today, you should contact the CPP by phone (1-800-277-9914, Toll-free).
I don’t have an account yet but I would like to create one. How can I do that?
Creating an account on Service Canada can be really useful, since you can update your personal information without having to contact anyone. With your account, you can also follow and apply for the different benefits you may be eligible for.
To create your account, go to My Service Canada Account (MSCA), and make sure that you have the following information with you :
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Date of birth
Where can I find my access code ?
If you’re already receiving Employment Insurance, CPP, or Old Age Security, you already have an access code. If you don’t remember it, you can find it on the mail you received from Service Canada when you applied for those benefits. You can also request a new code via the government’s website.
What if I don’t have an access code ?
If you don’t have a code, you can request it online. To do so, visit this page and request one. Once you’re on the page, make sure that you have your Social Insurance Number with you before starting the request.
Other government agencies ?
Depending on the governmental services you receive, you may have to change your address with other agencies and/or departments not mentioned here. To make sure you do not forget any of them, please consult MovingWaldo’s complete guide to changing your address with federal government agencies.
Moving is often synonymous of stress, long administrative tasks and a significant waste of time and money. MovingWaldo helps you solve all these problems in just a few clicks! After some shameless self-promotion, we invite you to discover our free moving tools available to all.
- Update accounts
- Connect Internet, TV and Phone.
- Secure home and auto insurance
- Find resources, checklists and more.
We bring together more than 700 organizations across Canada with a single and simplified form.
Share this article on social media
Related questions from the community
Have a question about your move? Ask our community.
Relevant for your move
How to change my address with the Government of Canada? You can change your address with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) online using MyAccount service, by phone at 1 800 959-8281, by mail or fax or
How to change my address for social assistance programs? In Canada, social programs provided by the government exist to give assistance to and aid citizens outside what the market provides. Many programs are run at the
If you have an immigration or citizenship application in process and are moving soon, it is required of you to update your address, to make sure you receive any important documents.
The DGEQ plays an important role in Quebec politics as it oversees the holding of elections and referendums. It is crucial to inform the DGEQ of your new address if you want to vote in your district.
Need help moving?
Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything your need for your move. No sign up required!