5 Best Long Distance Moving Companies in Canada
Moving is one of the most stressful things you can ever do. Whether it is residential moving, long distance moving, moving cross borders, or commercial moving, the process can be a disaster if you don’t trust the right long distance moving company.
There are several factors that determine whether you can trust a long distance moving company. It should have a strong track record, it should be well accredited by organizations such as Canadian Mover’s Association and Better Business Bureau, it should provide insurance, and it should be able to handle everything from packing to unloading.
You can find dozens of recommendations over the internet. However, it is difficult to weed out the good from the bad. To help make the task easier for you, we have compiled a detailed list of the best long distance movers in Canada.
Read on for a thoroughly-researched review of the 5 best long distance moving companies in Canada.
Not looking for a long distance mover? Find trusted local moving companies near you.
Big Steel Box Moving & Storage is a well-reputed container-based long distance moving company that has 29 locations across British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario. They can also facilitate moves to the Maritime provinces when the origin is in one of their service areas.
In addition to long distance moving, they also offer portable storage solutions for residential, construction, or commercial needs. This is an added bonus for customers who require storage in-between homes. In fact, moving containers work for housing with space to leave the container for one month at both the old and new address.
- In Business Since: 1999.
- Areas Covered: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario.
- Member of Canadian Mover’s Association (CAM): No.
- Better Business Bureau Rating: A+
- Containers security measures
- Storage in between homes
- Good Value
- Many locations
- Not Available to condo/apartment buildings*
- Not available in Quebec
- Do not offer packing services
*Unless you have space for the container for at least one month.
Reviews of Big Steel Box
- Google: 4.5/5 based on 494 reviews.
- Home Stars: 63% based on 1 review.
- Yelp: 3.8/5 based on 11 reviews.
Services Offered by BigSteelBox
- Pick Up and Drop Off: They drop off their BigSteelBox (i.e., their storage container), whenever you choose. You can even have it dropped off several days before moving so you have plenty of time to pack. Once you’re done loading up the containers, they pick it up and move it to your preferred destination. The BigSteelBox rents by the month giving the homeowner more time without any extra expense.
- Long Distance Moving: They can provide moving services across Canada, although they provide the greatest value when they have a store in both the origin and destination city.
- Local Moving: They also provide local moving services within cities where they have a store.
- Corporate Relocation: They can transfer staff members or entire offices to new locations.
- Storage: They offer portable storage solutions. These storage containers can be either stored at your home for easy access or you can fill a Box and have it stored at a BigSteelBox storage facility. The containers range from 8’ to 40’ in size and they are all wind, water, and rodent-proof, and fire-resistant.
Book your move!
Since their first day, Hercules Moving company was inspired by the power and strength of Greek God Hercules. Their mission is to change people’s mind about moving sector. In order to do so they are investing in training, in widening their offer and since 2019 they became overseas movers. With special care for specialized items such as your piano or your household Hercules Moving guarantees the best treatment for your goods when choosing them for your long distance move.
- Price : Available on demand
- In Business Since: N/A
- Areas Covered: Canada, cross-border and international moves
- Better Business Bureau Rating: Not accredited
Reviews of Hercules Moving Company
- Google : 4.7 stars
- Yellow Page : 4.8 stars
Services Offered by Hercule Moving Company
- Household moving
- Commercial moving
- International moving
- Corporate relocation
- Long distance moving
- Piano moving
- Packing and unpacking
- Moving and storage
- Cross country moving
- Freight and shipping
Book your move!
Atlas Van Lines is largely established in North America as a leading moving company. It has more than 430 agents across the U.S. and Canada to make it easy for everyone to find services around them. The agents must graduate from Altas Academy to guarantee they meet the Atlas standard for consumers. The company offer local, long-distance and international moves for individuals as well as companies. Atlas Van Lines provides a variety of services including packing and unpacking, as well as storage. We love the fact that Atlas Van Lines has an app called AtlasNet which helps consumers to track their move and manage paperwork, allowing you to keep track of your belongings at all times.
- Price : Available on demand
- In Business Since : 1963
- Areas Covered : Canada, cross-border and international moves
- Better Business Bureau Rating : A+
Reviews of Atlas Van Lines
- Google: 3.9 stars based on 239 reviews across all locations in Canada.
Services Offered by Atlas Van Lines
- Local Moving
- Long Distance Moving
- Canada to U.S Moving
- US to Canada Moving
- Overseas Moving
- Moving Containers
Rent-a-Son is an extremely well-reputed Toronto-based moving company. While they mostly provide storage and moving in and around Toronto and Greater Toronto Area, they can also be contacted for long distance moving across Canada or moving cross border. They also provide standard coverage for the property based on weight, and you can also seek additional valuation for particular items.
- Areas Covered: Local moving in Toronto and Greater Toronto Area. Long distance moving across Canada.
- Member of Canadian Mover’s Association (CAM): Yes
- Better Business Bureau Rating: A+
Reviews of Rent-a-Son
- Google: 4.6/5 based on 163 reviews.
- Facebook: 5/5 based on 5 votes.
- Home Stars: 93% based on 1038 reviews.
- Yelp: 4.5/5 based on 9 reviews.
Services Offered by Rent-a-Son
- Residential Moving.
- Commercial and Office Moving.
- Long Distance Moving across Canada and moving cross border to the U.S. and beyond.
- Storage in custom-sized wooden crates in a 22,000 sq. ft. climate-controlled warehouse.
- Packing services for an additional cost.
Book your move!
Metropolitan Movers is a local and long-distance moving company in Canada. They offer outstanding moving service to Canadians since 2010 with a variety of services at fair prices. Having multiple location throughout the country, it is easy to find Metropolitan Movers near you which makes them a convenient option for your long-distance move. In addition, they offer an online pricing estimator which makes it simple and stress free to make your decision. There is also a reliable customer service if assistance is needed. Metropolitan Movers offers home and business moving, packing services as well as storage facilities if your long-distance move requires this service.
- In Business Since: 2010
- Areas Covered: Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
- Member of Canadian Mover’s Association (CAM): Yes
- Better Business Bureau Rating: Not accredited.
- Online price estimator
- Many locations across Canada
- Accommodate all moving inquiries, even special item
- Accommodate all types of homes
- Provides industrial and commercial moving solutions
- Do not offer portable storage
- Do not offer international moves
Reviews of Metropolitan Movers
- Google: 4.3/5 based on 102 reviews.
- Home Stars: 80% based on 390 reviews.
Services Offered by Metropolitan Movers
- Moving and deliveries
- Delivering packing materials
Book your move!
Conclusion - Best Moving Companies
I hope this article has helped you narrow down your choice of long distance moving companies in Canada. As you can see, these companies offer a wide range of services. Some offer free packing whereas some charge extra for packing services. Some offer moving cross borders whereas some only offer moving across Canada. In addition, you should keep in mind that you might need a car shipping company is you are moving long distance. Finally, it’s up to you to determine which services are essential for your purposes and approach the moving company that can meet your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions about Moving
When is the cheapest time to move?
In general, it is cheaper to move in the middle of the week, in the middle of the month, and during the winter.
Moving prices change a lot throughout the year. Like Uber, the more demand there is, the higher the prices are. The general rules to get a discounted rate are:
- It is usually cheaper to move during the week than during the weekend. For instance, some companies will have a different hourly rate on Wednesday than on Saturday. This is likely due to the fact that people avoid taking time off from work to move, hence, there is more demand on weekends.
- Moving in the middle of the month is likely to be cheaper than moving on the last or first day of the month. This is due to the fact that most leases are renewed on the first day of the month, hence, there is more demand on this day.
- Moving during the winter is usually cheaper. December, January or February are most likely less expensive months. April to September is often more expensive since it coincides with the end and the beginning of the school year.
How many movers will I need?
Usually, a moving company will provide 2 or 3 movers. The number will depend on the company politics as well as the size of the move.
For instance, if you are moving from a one or two-bedroom apartment without large appliances, two movers will likely do it. On the contrary, if you are moving a house, 3 movers will be a better option.
If the moving company charges by the hour, the total hourly rate will be higher if there are 3 movers. This said, your move could also take less time, and the movers are less likely to accidentally scratch some furniture out of tiredness.
How many hours should I plan for my move?
For a same city move, the minimum will be 3 to 4 hours, but it is likely to be more than this. A two-bedroom apartment can take 4 to 6 hours, and a complete home could go up to 10 hours. Keep in mind that many things can influence the number of hours a move will take:
- The number of movers, usually 2 or 3.
- The number of boxes and furniture. Boxes are fast to move around, but appliances, sofas and specialty items can take a while. If a piece of furniture does not fit the stairs, for instance, you can count up to an hour to take it out through the balcony.
- On what level is your home located? Moving from the tenth floor will take more time.
- How long will it take for the movers to drive from their office, to your current home, then to your new home, and finally go back to the office? Most movers charge from door to door.
Try to evaluate how many trips will the movers need to load and unload everything, then estimate the time for each run. Finally, add the travel time and you should have a first approximation.
How much does it cost to hire a moving company?
Moving services rates are usually around 90$ to 120$ per hour for two men. For instance, at $90 per hour, a 6 hours – 2 men move would cost 540$. You would then need to add gas, insurance, and tip.
Here is some sample data. Please make sure to get a proper quote to budget your move, as every move is different!
- Two-bedroom townhouse between $375 and $450
- Three-bedroom house around $800 and $900
- Four-bedroom home around $3,000.
Read our full article on the cost of moving.
What should I consider when choosing a moving company?
Selecting a mover is always a tricky thing to do. Since you do not move every year, you usually never had experience with the mover we end up selecting. There are rarely very poor decision, but here are a few things to consider that will help you make an appropriate choice:
Make sure the moving company offers insurance for your belongings.
Look for the BBB Rating. A BBB rating is a measure of customer satisfaction. The highest, the better. Note that not all companies use this rating.
Look for the Canadian Association of Movers (CAM) accreditation. Again, not all companies participate, but it can be a good source of credibility.
How long have they been in business? It is often a great thing when a company is in business for 50 years. We are not saying that young companies are not good, but harder to evaluate.
Where are they located? The closest to you and your new home, the cheaper it will be.
Do they hire full-time employees, or work with contractors? Full-time employees will often give you a guarantee that the reviews are relevant to the team.
Look for reviews from friends and family or turn to online reviews. Take the time to read the reviews and understand it.
Make sure you get more than one moving company quote!
How much should I tip movers?
First, let’s settle it. Yes, you should tip movers, especially if they did a great job and were respectful of you and your furniture. Moving is not an easy job!
- For an average or small size move of 3 to 4 hours, a reasonable tip would be $20 per mover.
- For a larger move, or if it is a very hot day for instance, do not hesitate to go up to $40 per mover.
- In addition to tips, movers are likely to appreciate non-alcoholic beverages, such as water or Gatorade, or small snacks during the course of the move.
- It is usually recommended to tip at the end when paying the final bill.
- Final note: Reviews. The moving industry is not easy, and online reviews are very important for these companies and also for other families that will be seeking their services later on. Share your experience!
For more information, read our full post here on how much to tip movers.
Should I hire professional movers or rent a moving truck?
There are a number of things to consider before deciding to hire professional movers or moving by yourself, but the quick answer is: hiring movers is definitely a simpler choice, but will often be more expensive. Here are the things to consider:
- What are you moving? Do you only have a few boxes to move, or are you moving a full-size home with a piano and pool table? Try imagining yourself moving the largest piece of furniture, could you do it?
- To the first point, how is your physical health? Moving is hard on the body, and you surely do not want to break your back over the cost of moving. Hire movers if you think the effort could be too much.
- Are you on a tight schedule, or can you move furniture over a week or a month? The more time you have, the easier it is to do it yourself.
- Do you have specialty items, such as a pool table, a hot tub or a piano? These are expensive and need technical skills to be moved without properly. Make sure to get professional movers.
- Plan your move. The more planning, the better.
- Take measurement at your current and new address. Make sure everything fits.
- Create a Google Drive with all reservations, quotes, lists, insurance, and documents related to your move.
- Label your boxes!
- Always double confirm every reservation.
For MovingWaldo’s ultimate printable moving checklist, click here!
Moving is often synonymous of stress, long administrative tasks and a significant waste of time and money. MovingWaldo helps you solve all these problems in just a few clicks! After some shameless self-promotion, we invite you to discover our free moving tools available to all.
- Discover our pick of the 5 best movers in Toronto
- Update accounts
- Connect Internet, TV and Phone.
- Secure home and auto insurance
- Find resources, checklists and more.
We bring together more than 700 organizations across Canada with a single and simplified form.
Share this article on social media
Relevant for your move
When you are preparing for your long-distance move, you have to take things seriously. It’s a big task, and you will probably have hundreds of belongings that you need to get prepared for the long journey until they reach your new house.
11 Things to Know Before Moving From Canada To United Kingdom In the year 2019, a total of 61,815 people migrated from Canada to another country; many of which went to the United Kingdom. It is
If the time has come to move out and you think you are ready, it’s always good to do a double-check. When we speak about a successful long-distance move, some checkpoints need to be made in order not to encounter any kind of problems.
Need help moving?
Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything your need for your move. No sign up required!