5 Movers in Edmonton that you can trust.
Few things in life are as stressful as moving – whether it is a residential home, an office or a storage locker, packing everything you own in a logical, safe and organised way is always difficult (and that’s if everything goes to plan). A good mover in Edmonton who offers a fair price, treats your belongings with care and respect and works efficiently is absolutely essential to your move being successful. But, how do you find one of these? The internet contains a labyrinth of review sites all providing conflicting reports on the quality or lack of quality for the various moving companies, making it very difficult to separate the good from the bad. At MovingWaldo we wanted to help guide people through this maze, which is why we collated information about the best Edmonton movers – presenting an easy comparison that allows you to see clearly.
Two Small Men with Big Hearts is one of Canada’s largest moving companies and has more than 250 dedicated movers who will facilitate your move for you. They are fully BBB compliant and have achieved an excellent Google rating of 4.2, ensuring that it is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to move with an efficient moving company in Edmonton.
- Price – $125 per hour
- Address – 14630 128 Ave NW, Edmonton AB T3B 2T9
- Areas Covered – Edmonton, Canada and international moves
- Better Business Bureau rating – A+ (Accredited since 2011)
- Member of CAM – No
- In business since – 2010
Reviews of Two Small Men with Big Hearts in Edmonton
- Google reviews: 3.6 stars based on 529 reviews
- Facebook reviews: 3.9/5 based on 15 reviews
Services offered by Two Small Men with Big Hearts in Edmonton
- Moving homes
- Moving offices
- Senior moving
- Local and long-distance moves
- Special item and vehicle transport
- Storage services
- Packing and moving supplies
- Upsizing/downsizing services
Action Moving & Storage is a family owned and operated business- specializing in residential, commercial and Office Moves in Edmonton, Alberta. Action Moving has been in business for over 30 years under the same management, and all their movers are full time, fully trained, reliable professionals. They take pride in offering courteous and prompt service as customer satisfaction has always been their top priority, resulting in thousands of repeat customers in Edmonton. Action Moving have fully equipped 5 and 7-ton trucks ready to handle any move and relocation requirements. In addition, they provide convenient and secure storage containers for your furniture and other belongings should you require for your move in Edmonton.
- Pricing – $119/hour for 2 men and the truck and $159/hour for 3 men and the truck.
- Address – 12946 54th St. NW, Edmonton, AB T5A 5A8
- Areas Covered –Edmonton, Alberta and all of Western Canada.
- Better Business Bureau rating – A+ Rating (Accredited since 1998) What is this?
- Member of CAM – Yes (Since 2010) What is this?
- In business since – 1988
Reviews of Action Moving & Storage in Edmonton
- Google Reviews – 4.6 Stars based on 270 Reviews
- Facebook Reviews – 4.2/5 Stars based on 35 Reviews
- Homestars Reviews – 9.7/10 Stars based on 3 Reviews
Services offered in Edmonton by Action Moving & Storage
- Local Moving
- Long Distance Moving
- Residential Moving
- Commercial Moving
- Office Moving
- Piano Moving
- Secure Storage
- Boxes and Packing Materials
- Packing Services
- Free In-Home Estimates
- Free Phone Estimates
Upfront, All-inclusive move quotes. Ferguson Moving and Storage is one of the oldest moving companies in Edmonton and has a proven track record that has been satisfying customers since 1916. They have an excellent reputation by having been a BBB accredited business since 1992 and garnered an impressive 5 out of 5 rating on Google. If you are looking for a trustworthy company with a long history of proven results and 7 specific guarantees, then Ferguson Moving and Storage is the one for you.
- Pricing – Requires home inspection OR Live Facetime/Zoom Meeting
- Address – 7 Riel Dr, St. Albert, AB T8N 3Z2
- Areas Covered – Greater Vancouver including Fraser Valley, Edmonton Canada and International Moves
- Better Business Bureau rating –A+ (Accredited since 1992) What is this?
- Member of CAM – No What is this?
- In business since – 1916
Reviews of Ferguson Moving & Storage Ltd. in Edmonton
- Google reviews: 4.8 stars based on 108 reviews
- Homestars reviews: 9.7 out of 10 based on 455+ votes
Services offered in Edmonton by Ferguson Moving & Storage Ltd.
- Local Moves
- International Moves
- Packing and Unpacking
- Assembly and Disassembly
- Commercial Moves
2 Burley Men Moving is a Edmonton moving company that offers a plethora of moving services in and around the local area. It has been in operation since 2007, earning an impressive 4.2 rating on Google from +1600 reviews, which when combined with its A+ BBB rating, ensures that it is a local mover that you can trust.
- Price – 2 men and a truck from $100 to $130/hour.
- Areas Covered – Edmonton and the surrounding area
- Better Business Bureau rating – A-
- Member of CAM – No
- In business since – 2007
Reviews of 2 Burley Men Moving in Edmonton
- Google reviews: 3.7 stars based on 111 reviews
Services offered in Edmonton by 2 Burley Men Moving in Edmonton
- Local moving
- Long distance moving
- Boxes & moving supplies
BigSteelBox is a Canadian-owned and operated container moving and storage company that makes moving and storage feel better! They can move you across town, or across Canada. Their local moving price includes the 1-month rental of a 20′ BigSteelBox, so you can pack at your pace, and all movements of the container. Plus, if you need storage in between homes that’s no problem because storage is built right into their moving service and easy to add on.
From their storage facility in Edmonton, they’re able to provide moving services and portable storage container rentals and sales to residential and business customers in the city and surrounding area, including Sherwood Park and industrial sites across northern Alberta. Whether you need secure storage at home or on the job site, or you’re moving to a new home in Edmonton, BigSteelBox can help.
- Price – $584*
- Address –4051 84 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T6B 2Z3
- Areas Covered – Edmonton and the surrounding area
- Better Business Bureau rating – A+
- In business since – 1999
* Price includes the 1-month rental of a 20′ BigSteelBox, empty delivery, movement of the container to your new home, and empty pick up. Price is subject to change without notice and does not include taxes. Price is based on moves within the local service area of this city only. Additional charges may apply to freight for customers outside the local service area.
Is a Moving Container the right choice for my move ?
- I have an available parking space or equivalent to put the Moving Container for at least a few days at each location.
- I am aware that a BigSteelBox is best for single-family homes.
- I understand it will offer me the flexibility to pack and load at my pace and leisure.
If yes, a Moving Container is a great option for you!
- Multiple locations
- Storage in between homes
- Extremely secure containers
- Take your time packing
- Limited service for condo/apartment buildings
- Packing/loading service an additional cost
Reviews of BigSteelBox in Edmonton
- Google reviews: 4.7 stars based on 45 reviews
Services offered in Edmonton by BigSteelBox
- Local Moving
- Long Distance Moving
- Commercial Moving & Storage
- Container Moving
- Storage at Your Home
- Storage at Our Location
- Boxes and Packing Supplies
- Packing Services
- Free Quotes
Prices, availability, ratings and reviews may all vary over time. MovingWaldo does its best to provide accurate data and information, but cannot be held responsible for any information regarding the companies featured in this article. Unless noted otherwise, MovingWaldo is not taking part in any partnership with the above companies.
What’s the BBB? BBB stands for Better Business Bureau and is a North-American organisation whose mission is to help buyers and sellers trust each other. Its rating is based on the number of complaints that a company may receive and how the company handles these complaints. We try to always recommend companies that have A- or higher ratings.
What’s CAM? CAM stands for Canadian Association of Movers. It’s Canada’s only trade association for movers whose goal is to help its members evolve in the industry, while setting a standard of ethics and practices for moving companies. While it is a great way to gain credibility, not all moving companies are part of CAM.
Other Moving Companies in Alberta
Visit our shop for moving supplies
Share this article on social media
Frequently Asked Questions about Moving
When is the cheapest time to move?
In general, it is cheaper to move in the middle of the week, in the middle of the month, and during the winter.
Moving prices change a lot throughout the year. Like Uber, the more demand there is, the higher the prices are. The general rules to get a discounted rate are:
- It is usually cheaper to move during the week than during the weekend. For instance, some companies will have a different hourly rate on Wednesday than on Saturday. This is likely due to the fact that people avoid taking time off from work to move, hence, there is more demand on weekends.
- Moving in the middle of the month is likely to be cheaper than moving on the last or first day of the month. This is due to the fact that most leases are renewed on the first day of the month, hence, there is more demand on this day.
- Moving during the winter is usually cheaper. December, January or February are most likely less expensive months. April to September is often more expensive since it coincides with the end and the beginning of the school year.
Note: Are you moving in Quebec? The moving rates over the weekend of Canada Day can go as high as three times the normal rate. How’s that possible you say? Most of Quebec’s lease agreements end on July 1rst. Quebecers call it Moving Day.
How many movers will I need?
Usually, a moving company will provide 2 or 3 movers. The number will depend on the company politics as well as the size of the move.
For instance, if you are moving from a one or two-bedroom apartment without large appliances, two movers will likely do it. On the contrary, if you are moving a house, 3 movers will be a better option.
If the moving company charge by the hour, the total hourly rate will be higher if there are 3 movers. This said, your move could also take less time, and the movers are less likely to accidentally scratch some furniture out of tiredness.
How many hours should I plan for my move?
For a same city move, the minimum will be 3 to 4 hours, but it is likely to be more than this. A two-bedroom apartment can take 4 to 6 hours, and a complete home could go up to 10 hours. Keep in mind that many things can influence the number of hours a move will take:
- The number of movers, usually 2 or 3.
- The number of boxes and furniture. Boxes are fast to move around, but appliances, sofas and specialty items can take a while. If a piece of furniture does not fit the stairs, for instance, you can count up to an hour to take it out through the balcony.
- On what level is your home located? Moving from the tenth floor will take more time.
- How long will it take for the movers to drive from their office, to your current home, then to your new home, and finally go back to the office? Most movers charge from door to door.
Try to evaluate how many trips will the movers need to load and unload everything, then estimate the time for each run. Finally, add the travel time and you should have a first approximation.
How much does it cost to hire a moving company?
Moving services rate are usually around 60$ to 80$ per hour per man. For instance, at $60 per hour, a 6 hours – 2 men move would cost 720$. You would then need to add gas, insurance, and tip.
Here is some sample data. Please make sure to get a proper quote to budget your move, as every move is different!
- Two-bedroom townhouse between $870 and $1,015
- Two-bedroom apartment with an elevator between $870 and $1,160
- Three-bedroom house around $1,600
- Four-bedroom home around $2,300.
Read our full article on the cost of moving.
What should I consider when choosing a moving company?
Selecting a mover is always a tricky thing to do. Since you do not move every year, you usually never had experience with the mover we end up selecting. There are rarely very poor decision, but here are a few things to consider that will help you make an appropriate choice:
Make sure the moving company offers insurance for your belongings.
Look for the BBB Rating. A BBB rating is a measure of customer satisfaction. The highest, the better. Note that not all companies use this rating.
Look for the Canadian Association of Movers (CAM) accreditation. Again, not all companies participate, but it can be a good source of credibility.
How long have they been in business? It is often a great thing when a company is in business for 50 years. We are not saying that young companies are not good, but harder to evaluate.
Where are they located? The closest to you and your new home, the cheaper it will be.
Do they hire full-time employees, or work with contractors? Full-time employees will often give you a guarantee that the reviews are relevant to the team.
Look for reviews from friends and family or turn to online reviews. Take the time to read the reviews and understand it.
Make sure you get more than one moving company quote!
How much should I tip movers?
First, let’s settle it. Yes, you should tip movers, especially if they did a great job and were respectful of you and your furniture. Moving is not an easy job!
- For an average or small size move of 3 to 4 hours, a reasonable tip would be $25 per mover.
- For a larger move, or if it is a very hot day for instance, do not hesitate to go up to $50 per mover.
- In addition to tips, movers are likely to appreciate non-alcoholic beverages, such as water or Gatorade, or small snacks during the course of the move.
- It is usually recommended to tip at the end when paying the final bill.
- Final note: Reviews. The moving industry is not easy, and online reviews are very important for these companies and also for other families that will be seeking their services later on. Share your experience!
For more information, ready our full post here on how much to tip movers.
Should I hire professional movers or rent a moving truck?
There are a number of things to consider before deciding to hire professional movers or moving by yourself, but the quick answer is: hiring movers is definitely a simpler choice, but will often be more expensive. Here are the things to consider:
- What are you moving? Do you only have a few boxes to move, or are you moving a full-size home with a piano and pool table? Try imagining yourself moving the largest piece of furniture, could you do it?
- To the first point, how is your physical health? Moving is hard on the body, and you surely do not want to break your back over the cost of moving. Hire movers if you think the effort could be too much.
- Are you on a tight schedule, are can you move furniture over a week or a month? The more time you have, the easier it is to do it yourself.
- Do you have specialty items, such as a pool table, a spa or a piano? These are expensive and need technical skills to be moved without properly. Make sure to get professional movers.
What are 5 tips for a perfect move in Edmonton?
- Plan your move. The more planning, the better.
- Take measurement at your current and new address. Make sure everything fits.
- Create a Google Drive with all reservations, quotes, lists, insurance, and documents related to your move.
- Label your boxes!
- Always double confirm every reservation.
For MovingWaldo’s ultimate printable moving checklist, click here!
Relevant for your move
A clean house not only results in a clean space, but a clean mind. Cleaning your house is a long and tedious task so why not get your house cleaned by the most trusted cleaners in
A clean office not only means a clean space but also a clean mind. Office cleaning has many benefits including the satisfaction of your employees and a better work environment! Studies have even shown that a
Moving internationally is one of the most stressful things you can ever do. Especially when you are moving out of Canada, into the United States or further across the world. Whether you are moving alone or have a
So, you’ve probably heard about the big truck hire company, U-Haul, right? Well, what if you didn’t want to go with them? What are the alternatives in Edmonton?
Need help moving?
Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything your need for your move. No sign up required!